Step One: Snack: PB and crackers.Step Two: Choose a card: This card is the oldest in the bin - around 10 years of age (sigh). Relegated to the bin after other attempts to fix it the week I made it and it just looked sad. The obvious problems includes: the rocks that are stripes, the paper is wrinkly and curly (wasn’t taped during painting), and the frog is not a strong image. I realized today was the day. Fix it or toss it (I’m spring cleaning too so this is serious).
Step Three: research: I specifically looked at cards with unusual edge shapes, but didn’t see any that suggested a fix. However, in the process, I realized there was too much white (a white sky – really? What was I thinking). I also realized that the frog’s sideways position decreased his importance so I was going to have to move him. I looked around more and noticed cards with cute grassy fringes like this one and realized I could use that, create rocks from paper, keep the silk flowers and have many layers, plus a new home for the frog.
Step Four: Paper and glitz: Looking at the glitz I was keeping; bee, frog and the flowers, I realized I needed greens, browns and blues that were warmer (warm as in undertones – if you don’t know about undertones, research color theory. It’s very important in design. Here is one site J Or, you can wait a couple months and I’ll put one together *makes mental note*) Lastly, I chose all plain cardstock so I didn’t have to worry about clashing patterns.
Step Five/Six: design and assembly: First, I removed the flowers, bee and frog from the original card. Then, I used colored pencils to increase the color intensity of the frog. Then, I hand cut rocks from cardstock and inked their edges, going in deep to provide some sense of shape. The emerald green paper I trimmed to 1.5” high then fringed by hand and cut to a hill shape. Next I inked the edge of the sky with deep blue to add interest. Last, I started to glue things down. It was a little fussy because the rocks kept catching in the grass (imagine that!) and the whole layout would shift.
I originally planned to put the flowers in the grass, but as I was sorting out the layout, a piece of grass and a flower ended up in the sky. It was a happy accident, and I was sold. Putting the flowers on stems that extend into the sky creates movement, provides a scale for the frog and creates a design triangle with the other visual elements (or a zig-zag if you include the background lines) It also reduced the negative space (open sky) using a natural element.
However, I was still unhappy with the frog. He was still boring. So, I added wiggly eyes and deepened the color more, which made him pop. The bee was still sad looking, so I added a hexagon shaped glitter to the wings and added them both to the card. Note: after the photos were taken, I shifted the bee slightly to the left to exaggerate the Z. Slight design shifts happen often in the 24 hours after I finish a card –even one I like. It’s why I like to have a couple days before I have to hand out a card.
Lastly: the inside was still boring so I used a floral flourish then used ink and pencils to accent.
So now it is finished! Tell me what you think!
Supplies list: To recreate this card you need:
· Stampin’ up: Pocket Pals (frog)
· Inkadinkado: 98973 Beauty Stems from Here (flourish)
· Bee mini stamp (Dollar Tree a decade ago)
· White cardstock base & Envelope
· Three shades of brown cardstock
· Green paper (approx. 80lb)
· Light blue paper (approx. 60 lb copy)
· Distress Ink: Walnut stain
· Stampin’ up ink: Night of Navy
· (3) 1” silk flowers
· (3) brads (two lime, one lemon)
· Holiday Industries: Iridescent glitter.
· (2) 1/8” google eyes
· Glue, scissors, awl (brad hole), sponges for ink, colored pencils.